Showing pricing information in the mainspace may be controversial but we could have a separate kind of name space which would list pricing information in the form of a trade list. This could be a free-form page with little regulations allowing people to post buy and sell requests and allow others to come and check the price. For example, say I want to know what a Voltaic Spear is going for at the current ecto rate. I can go to Trade:Voltaic Spear and see people who both want to buy and sell and see how the price varies with req.
Pros and Cons
- List actual trade prices which would be run by both buyer and sellers.
- Allow for a basis of comparing and checking prices by seeing what others are buying and selling for.
- Less need to formalize a pricing system for things like varying requirement and rarity.
- Can list both buy and sell requests making it more useful than [Guru's auction service]
- Players can even simply list price checks. Having many contributors will help ensure accuracy and prevent abuse
- In a separate namespace, we can have separate disclaimers and keep it removed from the documenting nature of mainspace. It can also be filtered out of Special:Recentchanges
- We can list "going range" which can be updated by people. "buy requests", "sell offers", "price checks", etc.
- Will allow a person to directly find trade information on the item they desire by clicking a link on the item's page.
- Players who have already bought or sold an item they posted a WTB or WTS for will probably remove it themselves to keep from continuing to get PMs about it.
- Old trade requests and outdated information would need to be monitored and removed
- Potential for spam, vandals and abuse.
- Can become extremely cluttered and would need careful maintenance
- May flood Special:Recentchanges and prevent abuse/vandalism in both that name space and others from being caught.
- May not draw enough traffic to maintain itself.
- Players who wish to sell many items may have to post on several pages.
- Players who want to buy and sell would need to include their IGNs.