Skill points are used to buy skills from skill trainers. Each skill costs one skill point and a certain amount of money. The first skill purchased costs 50 , and the price increases gradually up to a cap of 1 on the 20th skill.
The total number of unredeemed skill points is listed in the hero panel.
A character acquires skill points in the following ways:
Although 261 skill points can be earned from missions and quests, the maximum a single character can earn (from them) depends on their starting Campaign: Prophecies: 253 points, Factions: 252 points, and Nightfall: 244 points.
- 25 in Prophecies (1 point awarded for each of 25 missions; the first eight missions only award skill points to Prophecies characters)
- 39 in Factions (1 point awarded for each level of completion on each of 13 missions; the first two missions only award skill points to Factions characters)
- 60 in Nightfall (1 point awarded for each level of completion on each of 20 missions)
- 124 from repeating all missions in Hard Mode
You can also earn unlimited skill points through gaining experience.
- You can save money and skill points by performing skill quests instead of purchasing skills. Prophecies offers such quests throughout the game; Factions and Nightfall offer them in the training areas of Shing Jea Island and Istan respectively.
- Skill points are not rewarded for completing the missions in the Bonus Mission Pack nor in Eye of the North.
- The 21st skill is the first to cost 1 . The first 20 skills will cost a total of 6.45 or just over 322 each, on average.