Tyria is the name of the world in which most of the game is played. It includes the known continents of Tyria (of the same name), Cantha, Elona, and the The Battle Isles (the archipelago which is home to Guild Halls and PvP arenas).
The world of Tyria bears a resemblence to Earth: Elona has parallels with Sub-Saharan Africa, Cantha with eastern and southeastern Asia, and Tyria blends parts of Europe, the Middle East, and Northern Africa.
Major bodies of water
Tyria also includes these known seas and oceans:
Additionally, there are two areas that were covered with water in ages past:
- The Jade Sea was petrified in the Jade Wind.
- The Crystal Desert was originally the Crystal Sea, before it was destroyed during the war between the Margonites and the followers of the Five Gods.
None of the lore available in Guild Wars suggests whether there are land masses east of Tyria or Elona nor south of Cantha. There are only two references to the shape of the world: the description of Minister Cho's Estate states that, "[the] menagerie of exotic animals from across the globe..."; the Manuscript book of EotN says that "...[Ascalonians are]... scattered across the globe." However, the use of "globe" as a synonym for "world" leaves open the possibility of a flat world.
- The Guild Wars Nightfall Manuscripts, mention that, "in 731 CC, Cantha began trading with the northern areas, along with Tyria and Elona," also suggesting a globe-shape.
- Legend has it that Tyria was the first world created and that after the Exodus, the Gods went on to create other worlds.
- An early version of the logo for Guild Wars 2 shows a globe.